Wednesday, April 22, 2009

what a week


oh man oh man what a week! probably, more like definitely, the best one since being here! a bold statement i know but it's true. it began with a little thing i like to call the Betis game (there are 2 teams in Sevilla, Sevilla and Betis, Betis is the underdog but according to the Spaniards they have more heart). this was an epic moment in my life because i've been waiting since the 7th grade to see a professional soccer game. and not only did my dream come true, it came true in Spain! my apartment mate Erica and i bought Betis gear so we would be decked out for the game, it was so much fun getting dressed up in their colors with all of the other crazy fans. the game was incredible, and the beautiful sunset just topped it off. i got to go with lots of great friends and i'm pretty sure my friend Andrew thought i was going to have a heart attacke i was so excited. the game was awesome, Betis won 2-0 and the other team's keeper got a red card. that NEVER happens. it was awesome. Spanish people do love their futbol. (i apologize for the sideways pictures, but it's 1 a.m. and i have to be up at 8 so i'm not going back to fix them)





Monday night we went to a bar called Garlochi. one of my mom's friends video taped a travel show in Sevilla for me to watch before i left. it had this bar in it that was decked out in all kinds of Catholic paraphanalia and the house specialty was a drink called "the blood of Christ". Erica (my apartment mate) watched the same show before coming so we have been determined to go at some point during our stay here. we finally made it happen on monday. it is actually very close to our apartment in a shady backstreet (don't worry mom, we were safe). the blood of Christ is a lot sweeter than i thought it would be, but still pretty delicious. it was fun getting to see this crazy pub in all it's glory.



Tuesday evening brought the event i had been waiting for all semester: the bull fight. i learned all about them in my popular culture class this week so i was ready to see the real thing. in a word, it was awesome. it is extremely cruel so to save those with week stomachs i will not put all the details on here. but if you are like my dad and want to know all of that, you can email me and ask. i will say that i thought one torrero (bull fighter) was a goner because the bull threw him up into the air and knocked him around a good bit. turns out he got caught between the horns so after a little air time he managed to get away unscathed and continue the fight. another matador tripped and hit the ground rolling (literally) to get away from the bull that went after him. it was pretty exciting. once i got past the cruelty of the spectacle, i really enjoyed myself. i'm not sure i would make it a weekly event, but it was really cool to experience.






Feria, the huge fair that is going on this week means a lot of flamenco dresses, dancing, and drinking (heavy on the drinking). there isn't much for kids to do while their parents are getting red in the face every day and night so the circus comes to town! this was tonight (wednesday's) event. it was actaully really good. i was expecting it to be a bit dinky because i mean, hey, they aren't barnum and bailey (according to my dad they are barnum, bailey, and jose. haha) it was really fun, i went with 6 other girls and we got to act like little kids clapping along to the music and laughing at the clowns. the acts were all great but my favorite were these 4 guys who did handstands and stuff on each other. i couldn't believe how strong they were! it took me back to the night my parents surprised my brother and sister and i with a trip to the circus at the (what was then) hornets arena. i don't really remember a lot of it other than pulling in the parking lot to find out we were at the circus, but tonight gave me some nostalgic memories none the less. it was a really great 14 euros spent.


to top it all off i got one of the best surprises (sort of surprise) today. Ashleigh Blue sent me a package! she is my favorite and the best friend ever. i got 3 posters (haha take that walker) and a drawing of what apparently (according to ash) i hope to be my future husband (it's a soccer player) =) a cd which i promptly put on my ipod and look forward to listening to it on the plane tomorrow, a letter from ash (the whole first page in spanish and i understood it without any help thank you very much), and a letter from her mom and grandma. it was a great day when i opened that package. the posters and drawing are now decorating my formerly bare walls and it makes me all the more anxious to get home to see her. man do i love that big ball of goof.

now it is exactly 1:25 a.m. and i'm freaking out just a little bit. tomorrow we begin our 8 day excursion through Italy and France which i am totally stoked for. this is it, the big shebang, the final enchalada, the trip of all trips. this is the last time i will be traveling until i make the trek back to the great U S of A. i can't believe it's already here, i've been thinking about it all semester and here it is. but i'm not packed, i still need to finish a paper, my clothes that i'm taking are up on the roof still on the line, i need to make a scrapbook page for my sorority scrapbook, and i'm not sure where my shampoo is. oh boy. it's going to be a long night. but even still, tomorrow night i will be dining on real Italian food.. in Italy! i can't get over it. i'm so excited! in the next 8 days i get to see: pisa, florence, venice, rome, and paris. holy cow, i'm a lucky girl! your prayers for safety for us as we travel are soooo appreciated. thanks to everyone who continues to pray for me every day as i'm here. i can't wait to see what is in store for this trip!

okay, it is time for me to sign off for the next 8 days. have a great week everyone and the next time i write i'll have been to Italy and France!!

p.s. because i can say it now.. i'm getting twin nephews!!! and i'm STOKED! helloooo ashley's own soccer team =)

1 comment:

  1. I think I just made my brain bleed trying to read all these posts... but I'm caught up!

    and good thing I made it to here b/c the last line was the best. two boys!

    ReplyDelete